Federal University of Bahia
UFBA was created on April 8, 1946, through Decree-Law 9155. Earlier, the Federal University of Bahia was formed by the School of Medicine and their associated schools, Dentistry and Pharmacy, and the schools of Philosophy, Economics, Law beyond the Polytechnic School. The actual installation of the university took place on July 2, 1946, the oldest center of higher education in the country, the School of Medicine at the Shrine of Jesus.
Four years later, the Federal University of Bahia was federalized. On December 4, 1950, the government enacted the 2234 law setting the Federal System of Higher Education. Since then, the university has been called the Federal University of Bahia. The history of higher education in the state dates back to 1808 when, for determination of the Portuguese court, the first school of medical education in the country was established: the Medical School of Bahia.
This was followed by the Faculty of Pharmacy (1832), School of Fine Arts (1877), School of Law (1891), Polytechnique School (1897), School of Economics (1905), School of Philosophy, Sciences and Letters (1943), School of Librarianship (1942) that formed part of others since 1946.
From that date onwards, new courses were created to meet the scientific and cultural needs of society. The work was coordinated by Edgard Santos, dean of the university from 1946 to 1961.
During this period of activity, the following installations were added: the Central Teaching Hospital, the Schools of Architecture and Education, the School of Music and Scenic art, the School of Geology, the Institutes of Mathematics, Physics, Chemistry, Biology and Health Sciences, the Center for Afro-Oriental Studies and the Museum of Sacred art.